Wednesday, October 31, 2018

After School Jobs Are Sometimes More Than Just Work

By Lily Reynolds


While some need to work to help out their parents, others work for the extra cash or to get a feel of real life. Students can work casual, part time, or full time in high school. Most high schoolers work casual or part-time due to school and extracurricular activities.
Casual is only required to work every other weekend, working full eight-hour shifts, but can pick up more hours. Part-time works about thirty hours a week, including a couple of weekend shifts, and full time is working forty or more hours a week.
“I picked this job because I knew I wanted to go for nursing and that was the first step to getting into nursing school,” said Taylar Pleumer. Taylar is a senior at Potosi High School and works casual at Lancaster Care Center as a CNA. She is required to work every other weekend because she was hired as casual.
As a CNA you take care of elders or rehab patients’ needs by washing them, dressing them or doing anything extra they ask. Getting your CNA requires taking tests online, then completing a written and skills test and passing them both before getting your certification.
Taylar said, “ You are more likely to work harder if your parents don't spoil you.” Her parents encouraged her to get a job because they wouldn't buy her things if she didn't absolutely need them. After being certified as a CNA, she learned there is more value than just money. “I enjoy my job because I like knowing I’m making a difference in other people's lives. It's such a great feeling because most high schoolers don't get that good feeling like you are helping someone.”
Jaydon Carbone, a senior at Potosi High School, works part time. “ I don’t need to work because my parents pay for my stuff,” so he does not work often.  He works at Holiday Gardens Event Center, working about four days a month. At his job, he cleans up the event center, washes dishes and sets up for big events. “ I don’t have the experience of having to manage [between] work, school, or sports.”
In my experience, working and going to school is stressful, but also a way to build some good skills for life. It has helped me realize how to manage my time and how to communicate. I really enjoy working and being in high school because it makes me feel like I'm getting ready for the future. I took work experience my Junior year knowing that I could leave school early to go to work. I now leave school at 2:50 pm and work till 8:00 pm during the week, and on the weekends I work 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm; this is called casual employment.

“I feel the need that people should work in high school,” says Taylar.  “It is an opportunity to get ready for your adulthood and gain responsibility.” It is frustrating because a lot of high schoolers get everything handed to them, and others have to go to bed late due to working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog will be moderated. Comments will not be allowed if they are deemed abusive or inappropriate for any reason.

Groom's Volleyball Career Journey

By Justice Udelhofen Chloe’s volleyball come back story: Freshman Year… The new kid. First season playing volleyball, ever. Junio...