Friday, April 26, 2019

Future College Athletes Prepare

By Lily Reynolds


Growing up in Potosi, WI with a class of 35 students, when four of them are going to be college athletes in the class of 2019, it is amazing.
Becoming a college athlete is a big commitment, being there for extra events, practice, and meets. When it comes to college, sports are taken seriously and the competition is taken to another level.
I have always had an interest in track and field, but we didn't get the sport at Potosi High School until my freshman year. Starting this sport was what I really needed, combining a passion for running with competition.
Thoughts of joy went through my mind. I never thought about continuing track until I received a message from the University of Dubuque track coach. I decided I should take the opportunity because otherwise, I would regret it in the future. After my college visit, I decided I need to try it out and see what a four-year college is like. I am worried about the level of schooling and how I will manage my time with a college sport and complex homework. Working on finding a good routine will be my goal.  I really enjoy track and field and can't wait to take it to the next level.
Jadyn Noonan, a senior at Potosi High school, is going to be playing softball at the college level at UW-Oshkosh. “I played club softball ball out of Oshkosh and decided to take a visit to the college after I met with the coach.” After talking to the coach, and before she committed, she took an overnight visit. “I really enjoyed the overnight visit and just the environment was something I knew I wanted to be a part of.”  
Everyone wonders where the passion for something starts. “Mine started when I was in tee-ball, and then in middle school, I tried every position out. The next level was high school and that when I knew being a pitcher was for me. I worked year round on softball, pitching and hitting inside with coaches that wanted to help me,” said Jadyn.
Amber Udelhoven, another senior at Potosi High School, will be playing college basketball at Madison Technical College. “I have always wanted to play a college level sport and I got the opportunity to play my favorite sport.” Amber mentions that she is excited to try out college, but is nervous because this is harder than college. “Next year I will be going to my classes and then going to practice; I will have to find more time to do homework and work-study.”

Taking on a college sport is something that is a hard decision; taking it to the next level might not be how it is in high school, but will be an experience worth the extra time we put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog will be moderated. Comments will not be allowed if they are deemed abusive or inappropriate for any reason.

Groom's Volleyball Career Journey

By Justice Udelhofen Chloe’s volleyball come back story: Freshman Year… The new kid. First season playing volleyball, ever. Junio...